According to the Mirror’s Chief Football correspondent, John Cross, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has told Arsene Wenger face-to-face that he will not sign a new deal. More significantly, Oxlade-Chamberlain has said that the decision has not been influenced by money. The North London outfit was preparing to offer the versatile English midfielder a four-year contract, earning wages in the region of £125,000 per week.
This news marks a development on the news that we released yesterday (Monday). It was reported that the Club was continuing talks with Arsenal and a bid in the region of £40 million will be made. Chamberlain’s decision will likely accentuate Chelsea’s desire to press ahead with the deal. The Arsenal man is the Club’s number one right-wing back target, ahead of the likes of linked players such as Southampton’s Cedric Soares.
It must be stressed that the developments today, do not translate into a completed deal. As it stands, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain remains an Arsenal player. There is a potential stumbling block regarding any potential deal: Arsene Wenger’s stubbornness. Following an Emirates Cup loss to Sevilla in July, Wenger stated that it is an ideal situation for players to enter their last year of the contract. Wenger has constantly reiterated that Alexis Sanchez, (a player with a year remaining on his contract), will remain at Arsenal and has repeated this argument in the context of Oxlade-Chamberlain. Chelsea will have to negotiate extremely well since Wenger and the Arsenal directors will be extremely reluctant to sell to a direct rival also.
What can be certain is expect further news regarding Alex-Oxlade Chamberlain and this potential deal will snowball up until transfer deadline day on August 31st. The best place to keep up-to-date is the Absolute Chelsea webpage and the Absolute Chelsea social media feeds.