Connect with us

Match Coverage

Chelsea 1-1 (4-2 pens) Newcastle: Blues win shootout to progress into Carabao Cup semis after stoppage time Mudryk lifeline



(Photo by ADRIAN DENNIS/AFP via Getty Images)

Chelsea progressed into the semi-finals of the Carabao Cup after a 4-2 penalty shootout win over Newcastle United.

Mykhailo Mudryk’s stoppage time equaliser ensured penalties decided the quarter-final tie and Djordje Petrovic saved Matt Ritchie’s penalty to seal their last four spot after it ended 1-1 after 90 minutes.

Callum Wilson took advantage of several defensive errors to give Newcastle an early lead in the 16th minute.

(Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

But substitute Mykhailo Mudryk was on hand in the 92nd minute to punish Kieran Trippier’s defensive error.

Chelsea counted themselves fortunate in the opening two minutes in the capital. Moises Caicedo was lucky not to be shown a red card, with VAR not in-use until the semi-finals, by referee Jarred Gillett after a late and nasty challenge on Anthony Gordon which produced the tie’s first booking.

Conor Gallagher, captaining the Blues, almost put the hosts ahead five minutes later in stunning fashion. A corner found it’s way to the edge of the box, but his curling effort cannoned off the woodwork to the relief of Martin Dúbravka.

A handful of defensive errors, starting with Levi Colwill’s pass, from Chelsea saw Newcastle take the lead after 16 minutes. Wilson took advantage of a defensive calamity from Benoit Badiashile, who was unable to sort his feet out, as the last man after he got past both the Frenchman and Thiago Silva to calmly slot by Djordje Petrovic.

Raheem Sterling almost drew Chelsea level after linking up with Caicedo, but he could only roll his effort wide of the back post. The 29-year-old had another chance less than a minute later, however Bruno Guimarães’ huge block ensured Newcastle kept their lead.

Pochettino was forced into an early change as his side looked for a way back into the tie. Armando Broja was brought on for Enzo Fernandez, who headed straight down the tunnel due to ‘not feeling well’, in the 32nd minute.

(Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

Broja thought he made the instant impact after dinking the ball over Dúbravka, however the flag was raised for offside to quickly halt celebrations.

Newcastle looked to gain more control of the quarter-final affair in the capital. Colwill ensured the visitors didn’t extend their lead four minutes before half-time with a crucial block to deny Guimarães.

Pochettino was forced into another change at the interval. Colwill was struggling towards the end of the first-half and was subsequently replaced by Malo Gusto, who was preferred to Ian Maatsen.

Chelsea created a chance for Nicolas Jackson in the 55th minute as he swivelled inside the box, but he was only able to drag his effort the wrong side of the post to the frustration of the home supporters. Dúbravka got down well moments later to deny Sterling’s low effort with a strong effort. Chelsea were continuing to pile the pressure on to level the game up.

With 21 minutes to play, Christopher Nkunku made his long-awaited Chelsea debut. Could he be the instant difference to turn their fortunes around?

(Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

Sterling had a glistening chance on the counter-attack with 15 minutes to play. Nkunku was running on his left-hand side, but the England international played the pass too heavy, which would’ve resulted in a one-on-one for the Chelsea debutant.

Maatsen and Mykhailo Mudryk were introduced three minutes later in a bid for Chelsea to find an equaliser in the closing stages.

It was Mudryk who took Chelsea to penalties in stoppage time. The substitute took advantage of Kieran Trippier’s error to find the back of the net.

Pochettino’s side moved into the last four on penalties as Conor Cole Palmer, Conor Gallagher, Christopher Nkunku and Mykhailo Mudryk all converted, while Petrovic kept out Ritchie’s fourth penalty to knock the Magpies out of the Carabao Cup.